Every Child Deserves a Chance to Play
Peter Ladd / Johnny Moran Memorial Scholarship
A $2500 scholarship (non-renewable) will be awarded annually to a graduating high school student who has shown commitment to their community through volunteer service to the special needs or disability community. The scholarship is given in honor of the Ladd and Moran families who exemplify commitment to the special needs community through their service and support in the face of the tragic loss of their sons, Peter and Johnny, both at far too young an age.
Peter Ladd was born in 2001 with cerebral palsy. Although his condition prevented him from ever learning to talk, walk, or eat, he was able to enjoy horseback riding and playing Miracle League baseball thanks to the kindness of so many wonderful volunteers. He attended Norfeldt Elementary School in West Hartford where he was warmly accepted by the school community. Peter was fortunate to be loved and cared for by a very large and extended family. He died unexpectedly from acute aspiration on Christmas morning 2012 at the age of 11.
Johnny Moran was born in 2007 with Wieacker Wolff Syndrome. He lived with many limitations from birth to age 9 but his spirit of strength and love rose far above, and his positive attitude toward life affected all who came to know him. Johnny loved his family, his friends at Norfeldt Elementary School, and his teammates and helpers on The Miracle League baseball field. Johnny's dimpled smile will live on in the many hearts he touched in his nine short years. He passed away from complications of Wieacker Wolff Syndrome April 18, 2016.
Requirements and Prerequisites
- Must be a graduating high school student from an accreditied Connecticut High School
- Must be enrolled or accepted at an accredited 2 or 4 year college and plan to be enrolled full time in the fall semester of 2018
- Immediate and extended family members of the Miracle League of CT Board of Directors, Advisory Board, or the Ladd and Moran families are not eligible to apply
- Commitment to the community through volunteer service (special consideration will be given to those who volunteer with children & adults with special needs including service to The Miracle League of CT) – 50%
- Essay question response – 40%
- Letter of recommendation – 5%
- Academic record – 5%
Required Materials for Application
- Completed scholarship application
- Official sealed high school transcript
- One letter of recommendation from a leader, organizer or Executive Director of an organization that you volunteer for
- Write an essay (no more than 350 words) in response to the prompt question provided on the applicant essay page
All applications must be postmarked by April 1, 2018. Applications will be evaluated by a 5 member committee. Each committee member will score in the 4 categories and the administrator will tally and compile the scores. The scholarship recipient will be notified in late May. The winner will be invited to be our guest along with his or her parents or guardians at the Miracle League of CT Golf Classic dinner on Tuesday June 5th to be recognized as the scholarship recipient.